- Real Time Provisioning
AJAX Example - LearnOnDemand
Webhooks Example - LearnOnDemand
- Embedded Environments
Virtual Labs Use Case
Did you know you can provision a virtual lab environment in real time as part of your course curriculum in Skilljar? Find out how!
Leveraging a combination of Skilljar Webhooks, Zapier or custom code, a virtual lab tool that supports provisioning via API, and the Skilljar API, it is possible to create a unique launch URL for each learner that registers for a course containing a virtual lab to direct learners to that lab.
1. In the virtual lab tool, create a virtual lab environment profile that can be executed via API to return a unique launch URL for that lab in JSON format.
2. In Skilljar, create a Skilljar Published Course and Lesson to house the unique link for the virtual lab environment.
3. Leveraging a technology like Zapier or a custom built service, add a step to listen for the Course Enrollment Webhook event for the Course created in step 2, or an AJAX request from a clickable button embedded in the lesson HTML.
4. Add a step to extract and store the relevant parameters such as Published Course ID, Lesson ID, User ID, First Name, Last Name, and Email of the learner registering for the course from the JSON payload sent in the Webhook or AJAX request from step 3.
5. Add a step to call the API of the virtual lab tool to launch a virtual lab environment using the parameters extracted about the registered user in step 4. Store the unique launch URL for the lab returned in the JSON after creation.
6. Add a step to call the Skilljar API "Update Lesson Progress" endpoint to insert the unique launch URL stored in step 5 into the 'custom_data' parameter. Refer to this document for detailed instructions on this step.
Register for the above course for a demo!